After 50 years in the business, something funny happened; I overwatered my rubber plant one evening. For some odd reason, I felt it was necessary to splash a little more water on this groundcover, which was in full blooming mode in my living room garden and rarely needs any help. I knew that would lead to several problems; minor aphids on the lower leaves, a few little yolk-looking eggs on my oriental lily bulb, now out of bud and maybe irritating my houseplants (especially my bridge) and so on and so forth. I did it twice: once to stop the itching from the aphids, the second time to help the loose bud of my oriental lily. On the second occasion I came within a whisker of destroying my oriental lily by spreading water over it in order to reinforce a bud, and thereby distancing it further from the flowers of its mates. What I forgot to do (but I really only found out later) was to soak the leaves of my rubber plant, which would have stopped the aphids, yolk eggs and other all sorts of eggs and all kinds of pests and critters from becoming stuck to the turf.
When the rubber plant started growing a few weeks later, however, it seemed to be pleased by the increased watering so much so that it was now twice as thick as it should have been. The leaves then grew ever larger, and stayed that way for ever. The only victim was the garden chair that had been placed on top of it. We had taken it down, dried it, and sent it to a botanist to be brushed to ensure it didn’t have any roots; unfortunately for us, he thought it had a root and sent a root sample to the laboratory, whose owner was too unworldly to believe we had washed the chair, which meant we could no longer afford to own that rare and charming furniture. I won’t get into detail about how we retrieved it, but it took several hours for everyone to recover from our efforts.
It was about this time that I found a few seedlings of sago. Unfortunately the seed didn’t have any of the usual ingredient (i.e. fava beans) that are used to grow a sago plant and so they didn’t last too long. It took me quite a while to find out that most of the seeds I have planted in recent years have some fail to germinate and cease to grow. I planted the seedlings last evening, but don’t expect to be watering my rubber plant for quite a while.